- Apply Now!
- Type: A Levels | Vocational Courses | Science
- Level: 3
- Study Mode: Full-time
- Start: September 2023
Please note that all courses are subject to a minimum application number in order to run
About the course
This is the course for someone who loves 'hands on' Science. It combines in-depth study of Biology, Chemistry and Physics, whilst developing core skills in English and Mathematics. You will spend most of your college time in laboratories, carrying out a variety of practical scientific investigations. It is an appropriate course for anyone wishing to pursue a career in any of the science industries and for those who wish to study Science at university. The course lasts for two years and the Extended Diploma is equivalent to three A Levels in Science.
- 5 GCSEs at 4 or above, 4 & 4 in double Science and 4 in Maths and English
- Overall achieve PP or PM at Level 2 progress to Subsidiary Dip at Level 3
- Overall achieve MM or above at Level 2 progress to 90 Credit Diploma at Level 3
How much does it cost?
Free to those aged 16-18. If you are aged 19+ you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan.
There is a range of financial support that you may be entitled to, including: Learner Support funds, grants and bursaries and employer support.
This course combines the right balance of practical, research and behavioural skills to lead you into Higher Education or Employment in the Science sector. It uses a combination of assessment styles to give you the confidence to apply your knowledge in the workplace and also give you the study skills to continue learning via Higher Education or Apprenticeships.
Where will this course take me?
BTEC Diplomas are valued by employers and higher education (university and colleges). Progress into higher education to study subjects including Midwifery, Applied Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Science, Forensic Science, Material Science and Engineering.
This course can lead on to many, many different careers. Some of our students who have successfully completed have gone on to careers in biomedical science, forensic science, veterinary nursing, chemical engineering, child or adult nursing, wildlife management, paramedic science and criminology.
- Principles and Applications of Science 1
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills
- Laboratory Techniques and their application
- Principles and Applications of Science 2
- Investigative Project
- Contemporary Issues in Science
6 optional modules will be selected from the following:
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Human Regulation and Reproduction
- Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways
- Genetics and genetic Engineering
- Applications of Inorganic Chemistry
- Applications of Organic Chemistry
- Electrical Circuits and their Application
- Astronomy and Space Science
- Microbiology and Microbiological Techniques
- Industrial Chemical Reactions
- Practical Chemical Analysis
- Biomedical Science
- Medical Physics Applications
How will I be assessed?
There are three assessment methods:
- Some units are assessed via examination set and marked by Edexcel
- Some are assessed by controlled assessment which are set and marked by Edexcel
- Some are assessed by assignments that are set and marked by Harlow College
Will I have to provide anything?
Standard classroom equipment – e.g pens, pencils, paper, ruler. Large lever arch files, plastic wallets. Standard mathematical calculator. Memory stick. Some field trip costs.
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Call 01279 868100 and talk to an Admissions Adviser
Ask Us a question about this course