- Sector: Business | Apprenticeships | Online & On Campus | Leadership and Management
- Level: 5
- Start Date: Variable
Typically takes up to 2.5 years to complete – exact duration dependends on previous experience of the individual.
This apprenticeship has been designed to provide access to development opportunities for as wide a range of individuals as possible. This includes individuals who are at the start of their career and who wish to take their first steps into professional management, as well as those who may already have developed practical experience but who wish to develop their theoretical understanding of management skills.
On completion, apprentices can register as full members with the Chartered Management Institute and/or the Institute of Leadership & Management, and those with 3 years’ of management experience can apply for Chartered Manager status through the CMI.
Am I ready to start?
Must be employed in a suitable management role.
How does an Apprenticeship Work?
Harlow College is conveniently based in the Centre of Harlow.
Your operations/departmental manager Apprentice will benefit from:
- The highest quality of teaching by a qualified, experienced management Assessor
- Modern well equipped classrooms
- Classroom based study which further develops apprentice’s knowledge, skills and confidence
- Maths and English teaching essential to underpin and support workplace knowledge
- Learning at your premises by agreement
- Preparation for end point assessment
As part of our employer service you will benefit from:
- A named advisor supporting you with information and guidance, advising you through the training process to successful completion
- Progress reports
- Regular, clear and concise communications
- Our employer forum
What does the course involve?
As part of the apprenticeship you will study a broad range of management theory and techniques which they will apply to their role to help enhance their performance. Topics that will be covered as part of the program include operational management, project management, finance, leading and managing people, building relationships and communication.
The apprenticeship is delivered through ILM which is the UK’s leading provider of leadership apprenticeships.
Poor management is estimated to cost the UK £84bn in lost productivity per year. The operations/departmental manager apprenticeship is tailored to the needs of both the learner and employer to address key areas of development.
The learner will receive bespoke training and support which includes subscription to the ILM online workbooks via illuminate.
If the apprentice and employer wish to do so there is an optional qualification which can be delivered alongside the apprenticeship to enhance learning.
- Scenario based knowledge test
- Competency based interview
- Assessment of portfolio of evidence
- Presentation of work based project approach and finding with Q&A
- Professional discussion relating to CPD activity
Down to business, what can I do and what can I earn?
- Senior Manager
- Head of Department
- Assistant Director
- Chief Operating Officer
Got a job?
You must have a job to do an apprenticeship. If you already have a job you may be able to do an apprenticeship with your current employer.
If you don’t have a job for your apprenticeship – apply for your place at College by clicking the 'Apply Now' button at the top and bottom of the page.
Once you have applied please check out our apprenticeship job vacancies.
An apprenticeship comprises two parts:
- Typically 20% study element (at Harlow College or Stansted Airport College).
- 80% work based element with an employer. It is your responsibility to find an employer.