- Sector: Construction & Civil Engineering | Construction & Built Environment | Apprenticeships
- Level: Intermediate
- Start Date: Variable
If you're keen to earn money whilst you train to become a fully qualified tradesperson then an apprenticeship may be for you. A Property Maintenance Operative apprenticeship will equip you with the necessary experience and training required for you to progress in your career. You'll work closely with an experienced employer while in the workplace and learn from our hugely experienced team of tutors at the College. You'll not only become a qualified property maintenance operative, you'll also learn all aspects of working in industry.
Am I ready to start?
If you're a practical person who likes to work in a busy, physical and challenging environment then this could be the right path for you.
You'll have to sit a diagnostic assessment for both Maths and English before your start on your course and depending on the outcome of the assessment it may be advisable for you to upskill before commencing with your apprenticeship. If this is the case the College will support you to find an appropriate course.
Before starting an apprenticeship you'll go through the interview process with an employer. Employers may be looking for slightly different qualities, but on the whole they are looking for motivated, enthusiastic and hardworking individuals who have good interpersonal skills and the ability to problem solve and work effectively as part of a team.
It may be you don't feel you're ready for an apprenticeship and might benefit from a Traineeship or full-time course first.
How does an Apprenticeship Work?
Harlow College is conveniently based in the centre of Harlow and has recently secured a £200,000 investment for new technology in the construction area.
The Property Maintenance Apprentice will benefit from:
- High quality teaching by qualified, experienced industry experts
- Modern well equipped workshops
- Modern high quality industry standard hand and power tools
- Maths and English teaching to underpin and support workplace knowledge
- Preparation for end point assessment
The employer will benefit from:
- A named advisor advising and supporting you through the training process to successful completion
- Progress reports, regular, clear and concise communications
Our programme is delivered on a day release basis.
What does the course involve?
- health and safety compliance
- working safely at heights
- carrying out repairs to a building
- maintaining plumbing and drainage systems
- maintaining electrical distribution in a building
- maintaining plant, safety systems and equipment
- energy, environment and sustainability practices
- maintaining the outside of a building
- using specialist tools and equipment to carry out repairs
How and when will I study?
An apprenticeship programme is delivered via a mixture of on and off the job training, whereby you can apply your skills in real work contexts.
You will build up a portfolio of evidence to show your competence. This will involve observations by our onsite NVQ assessor, witness statements and candidate reports relating to practical tasks undertaken.
You will also be required to demonstrate your underpinning knowledge by completing 2 x assignments
This is the training that you will undertake in college. Through this training you will develop some of your underpinning knowledge as well as have the chance to practice and refine you practical skills.
Portfolio of evidence
This is the assessment of your competency in the work place. Our team of onsite assessors will observe you in the work place and support you to gain the evidence required to prove your ability to work effectively.
This area covers your English and Mathematics development to the highest possible level.
The duration of the course is dependent on prior attainment and can range from 18 months to 24 months. You will attend College for 1 day a week and you be in the workplace for the remaining 4 days.
Down to business, what can I do and what can I earn?
Demand for skilled tradespeople is very high and there are a huge number of construction projects across the UK and abroad due to start over the next few years.
Completing the Property Maintenance Operative apprenticeship at Harlow College will enable you to progress into roles such as a Technical Specialist e.g. Electrical or Plumbing and Supervisory and Management roles e.g. Facilities Management, across a wide range of sectors.
Got a job?
You must have a job to do an apprenticeship. If you already have a job you may be able to do an apprenticeship with your current employer.
If you don’t have a job for your apprenticeship – apply for your place at College by clicking the 'Apply Now' button at the top and bottom of the page.
Once you have applied please check out our apprenticeship job vacancies.
An apprenticeship comprises two parts:
- Typically 20% study element (at Harlow College or Stansted Airport College).
- 80% work based element with an employer. It is your responsibility to find an employer.