Careers start here.

Take control of your future!

Health and Safety in a Construction Environment

  • Apply
  • Type: e-Learning
  • Level: 1
  • Start Date: Throughout the year
  • Duration: 6 weeks
  • Study Mode: Online Learning

About the course

On this course you will complete the Level 1 Award in Health & Safety in a Construction Environment which provides an important foundation to Health and Safety for individuals working or intending to work within the Construction industry. The qualification covers risk assessment, working at height, manual handling, improving health and safety at work and the safe operation of equipment. Once enrolled you will be sent online learning materials that you can complete at home, you will have the support of a dedicated tutor who will help guide you through the course. This qualification, along with the CITB Health and Safety Operatives test is required before you can apply for a CSCS card, please be advised that currently all CITB testing centres are closed, once they have reopened we will arrange a test for you. This course must be selected together with the L1 Certificate in Employability Skills, please apply for both courses, your application and enrolment will be delayed if you fail to do this.

Why study?

  • Achieve a nationally recognised Level 1 qualification
  • Increase understanding of health and safety in a construction environment
  • Further your personal development
  • Gain a clear understanding of health and safety legislation

What you will learn

  • Principles of risk assessment for maintaining and improving health and safety at work 
  • The importance of safe manual handling in the workplace.
  • The importance of working safely at height in the workplace
  • Risks to health within a construction environment.
  • Risks to health within a construction environment.

How much does it cost?

This course is free* to study if you are:

  • Aged 19 or over
  • Living in UK and an EU resident for the last 3 years
  • Have settled status in the UK if you are not a UK or EU national

*Costs for adult programmes has changed. If you live in a devolved area you may have to pay for your programme(s). This includes residents of Greater London or Greater Cambridge and Peterborough.

If you currently reside in any of the devolved authorities listed below (based on you home postcode) your study with Harlow College is not eligible for AEB funding and you may be required to pay tuition fees:

  • The Greater London Authority
  • The Greater Manchester Combined Authority 
  • The Liverpool City Region Combined Authority 
  • The West of England Combined Authority 
  • The West Midlands Combined Authority 
  • The Tees Valley Combined Authority 
  • The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority

You may be eligible for funding from other providers.

I'm interested. What should I do now?