- Apply Now
- Type: Vocational Courses | Sport
- Level: 2
- Study Mode: Full-time
- Start: September 2023
- Duration: 1 Year
Please note that all courses are subject to a minimum number in order to run
About the course
This course is ideal for anyone interested in the health and fitness industry and who wish to develop their practical skills in gym-based exercise. It comprises both practical and theoretical elements and you will be given the opportunity to develop your fitness training skills in a gym environment. In addition to this you will be given the opportunity to gain valuable work experience through work placements related to your study programme.
4 GCSEs grades 2 - 3 or and minimum Level 1 diagnostic in Maths and English. A satisfactory pass at NVQ 1 or Introductory Diploma.
How much does it cost?
Free to learners aged 16-18. £15 Harlow College Polo Shirt. £45 DBS checks.
The units will provide you with a good knowledge and understanding of the leisure industry and how to lead clients through a range of gym-based exercises. In addition to this you will be given the opportunity to complete the level 2 award in circuit training. The course is ideal for those who would like the pursuit a career in the fitness and leisure industry.
There are two exam units which include Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise & Principles of Exercise, Health and Lifestyle. Staff will ensure that you are fully prepared for your exams through additional revision sessions throughout the year. Alongside the main course you will also complete an Emergency First Aid at Work qualification and a circuit training qualification. You will be expected to complete some form of work experience related to your study programme.
Where will this course take me?
Career as a fitness instructor or within the health and fitness sector. Opportunity to progress onto the Level 3 in Sport and Exercise Sciences.
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Planning gym-based exercise
- Instructing gym-based exercise
- Understanding the role of nutrition in exercise
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Principles of exercise, health
- Factors affecting participation in sport and physical activity
- Leading a healthy lifestyle
- People skills in sport and active leisure
- Planning and preparation for personal exercise and nutrition
- Lifestyle factors and how they affect health
- Planning a circuit training session
- Instructing a circuit training session
How will I be assessed?
Practical assessment, exams and written coursework.
Will I have to provide anything?
£15 for Harlow College Polo Shirt. £45 for DBS checks.
£10 per month for gym membership.
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Call 01279 868100 and talk to an Admissions Adviser
Ask Us a question about this course