- Type: Part-time & Adult Courses | Higher Education | IT, Security & Networking | Online & On Campus
- Level: 5
- Study Mode: Online & On Campus
- Start: April 2021
- Time: Thursday evening 5.30-8.30pm
- Duration: 1 year, 1 evening p/w
- Full Fee: £5,400 (Advanced Learner Loan Available)
About the course
The course delivers the practical skills to design, create, build and test a web-based software application. Course content is designed to develop proficiency in the most relevant and sought after coding languages and tools. You will work through a series of four immersive projects through guided learning hours supported by online tutoring, mentoring and community activities. Peer-to-peer student support is provided via active Slack channels.
The cost of the course is £5,400 (Advanced Learner Loan Available).
- Be over the age of 18
- Applicants must complete the 5-step coding challenge
- Mature students with commensurate work/industry experience will be considered
Who is it suitable for?
This qualification is a pathway to employment for those who want to work in the tech industry. It gives learners the job ready skills to take up roles including junior software/web application developer, junior full-stack/front-end/back-end developer, junior QA engineer or support engineer. It is suitable for those with no previous coding experience and for those who want to refresh their knowledge with the most relevant coding languages.
This is a blended course with online tuition provided by Harlow College Campus along with supported online learning and self study. The online delivery features live tutor support 24/5 plus weekends and a highly engaged slack community where learners interact, network and provide peer-to-peer support. The always-on LMS access enables students to study where and when they wish. A student care team provides learners with day-to-day support.
Where will this course take me?
This course offers learners the skills to apply for one of the 90k unfilled tech vacancies in the UK every week. Opportunities for graduates are growing both within the tech sector and other sectors including retail, health, finance, education, transport, entertainment and hospitality.
Graduates can apply for the following roles:
- Junior/Associate Full Stack Developer
- Junior/Associate Frontend Developer
- Junior/Associate Backend Developer
- Junior/Associate Software Developer
- Junior/Associate QA Engineer
- Support Engineer
This qualification opens the door to a career in tech. Graduates will continue to develop their skills in their new role and may decide to specialise in a particular area suited to their personal strengths and preferences.
- User Centric Frontend Development This unit aims to provide learners with the knowledge and skills needed to build a Frontend web application. It includes understanding the principles of responsive design, documentation and effective layout of content.
- Interactive Frontend Development Learners develop the knowledge and skills needed to build a dynamic, interactive Frontend web application. It includes understanding user input and control when interacting with a web application. It also includes understanding the principles of manual testing for debugging.
- Data Centric Development This focuses on understanding and developing the practical skills to build a Back End web application. Topics covered include data storage and data management using relational and non-relational databases.
- Full Stack Frameworks withDjango Learners build on their existing skills and learn how to integrate them effectively to build a Full Stack web application. The unit covers the use of frameworks, APIs, automated testing, persistent storage, user authentication and ecommerce functionality
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is via four milestone projects covering each aspect of web application development. These projects form a portfolio to showcase learner’s competency to employers.