- Type: Higher National Certificate & Diploma | Childcare | Higher Education
- Level: 4-5
- Study Mode: Part-time
- Duration: 1 or 2 years
- Study Pattern: 2 days p/w
- Start Date: September 2023
- Location: Harlow College Campus
- Awarding Body: Pearson
Please note that all courses are subject to a minimum application number in order to run
This course will run but is subject to minimum numbers
- Relevant Level 3 qualification, e.g. BTEC, UAL, A Level, Access to HE Diploma etc.
- 64 UCAS tarrif points
- Clear DBS check
- Mature students may have commensurate work/business /industry related experience that may be considered
Transfer of credit from another qualification is considered on a individual basis and will require an interview.
About the course
This course provides extensive knowledge of professional development, the Early Years curriculum along with communication, values & leadership for advanced Early Years Practitioners. You will gain an understanding of the stages and sequences of brain development, physical development and social skills. Most significantly, you will gain professional status enabling you to work with children or progress to university to complete an Early Years Degree, Teaching Degree or a Degree in Childhood studies.
This course will equip you with the early education and care practice skills, knowledge and the understanding necessary for the early education and care environment. It will provide you with the education and training for entry to, or progression in, a range of careers in early education and care, including: senior early years practitioner, supervision and management roles in children’s nursery and other childcare settings; teaching assistant roles in early education or preschool settings; care and education support for children with special education and development needs.
Where will this course take me?
After the HND a Top-up to a full Degree may be possible. Check with Universities directly or the UCAS website.
After the HNC – you could ask to transfer to the second year of a degree. Again, contact the University's admission team direct after searching the course on the UCAS website. Or you could continue at Harlow College and complete your HND.
You could progress into management roles, Early Years and Primary teacher training, social work and educational psychologist.
- Personal and professional development through reflective practice
- Protecting children in early childhood education and care environments
- Play and learning in early childhood
- Supporting and promoting children’s development (babies and toddlers)
- Supporting and promoting children’s development (young children)
- Promoting healthy living
- Preparing for research(Pearsons set project)
- Promoting inclusive early childhood education and care environments
- Investigating childhood action research for early childhood practitioners (Pearsons set project)
- Improving quality in early childhood education and care environments
- Impact of curriculum on early childhood education and care
- Innovative approaches to children’s play and learning in practice
*These modules may be subject to change
How much does it cost?
£5990 per year with an inflationary rise if you proceed to the HND.
You may access a student loan for the fees and maintenance.
The Student Finance England website has full details and you can use their calculator to see what help you may be entitled to.
Included in the fee:
- £10 free printing per year
- All tuition and assessment
Not included in the fee:
- Printing over £10
- Cost of trips
- Cost of residential visits
- Basic stationery
*There may be additional costs for this course
All students will spend a minimum of 2 days a week in a placement, as either paid or voluntary staff. Students are required to secure the placement themselves.
Teaching & Learning
Teaching will be a combination of individual, paired and group work.
Assessment & Feedback
Teaching will be a combination of individual, paired and group work. Assessment methods will vary for each unit but will be a range of:
- Written assessment 45%
- Mind Mapping 5%
- Presentations 5%
- Discussions 10%
- Practical assessments 25%
- Action research 10%