- Type: Vocational Courses | Business | Creative & Design
- Level: 3
- Study Mode: Full-time
- Start: September 2019
- Time: 3 days per week
- Duration: 1 year
About the course
The structure of the course, with units linked to provide coherence, allows students to synthesise newly acquired practical skills with theoretical knowledge and understanding, as they explore their aptitude and ambition and the particular characteristics of a broad range of fashion business and retail disciplines. Students will be encouraged to recognise, not only the unique characteristics of different disciplines, but also the dynamic and potentially innovative relationships between those disciplines.
4 GCSEs Grade 4 or C. English and maths at grade 4 or C preferred.
You do not need to study textiles or art to apply for this course. However, if you are studying a creative subject, we would love to see your work at interview. All applicants will be sent a short interview task to complete.
How much does it cost?
Free to those aged 16-18. If you are aged 19+ you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan.
There is a range of financial support that you may be entitled to, including: Learner Support funds, grants and bursaries and employer support.
UAL (University of the Arts London)
The course is characterised by experiential, experimental and integrated learning, relying on the application and transfer of recognised skills, whilst valuing the accidental and novel results that can occur in both individual and collaborative practice. The qualification also recognises the common principles and distinctive characteristics within the retail and business industry.
Where will this course take me?
Higher education – study fashion buying and business, fashion promotion and marketing.
Employment – visual merchandising, fashion buying and merchandising, brand management, garment technology.
- Unit 1 Principles of fashion business and retail
- Unit 2 Communication for fashion business and retail
- Unit 3 Critical and contextual awareness
- Unit 4 Fashion production and supply chain
- Unit 5 Fashion buying and merchandising
- Unit 6 Fashion management and marketing
- Unit 7 Visual merchandising for fashion retail
- Unit 8 Collaborative fashion
- Unit 9 Specialist study and preparation for progression in fashion business and retail
- Unit 10 Fashion retail environments
- Unit 11 Fashion futures and sustainability
- Unit 12 Project proposal in fashion business and retail
- Unit 13 Extended project in fashion business and retail
How will I be assessed?
Units 1–7 of the level 3 Diploma and units 9–11 of the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Fashion Business & Retail will be internally assessed and internally moderated against the assessment criteria for those units.
Unit 8 the final unit of the Level 3 Diploma in Fashion Business and Retail will determine the grade achievement at Level 3 Diploma.
The unit is graded Fail, Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Unit 12 and 13 make up the final grade for the Extended Diploma
The units are graded Fail, Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Will I have to provide anything?
Basic stationary – ring binder, paper etc.
£50 studio charge towards materials costs.
£50 trips fee for visits to exhibition and top-end fashion shops in Central London.
£50 iPad deposit.
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Call 01279 868100 and talk to an Admissions Adviser
Ask Us a question about this course