- Type: Higher National Certificate & Diploma | Higher Education | Higher Education | Health & Social Care
- Level: 5
- Study Mode: Full-time
- Duration: 1 year
- Study Pattern: 2.5 days p/w
- Start Date: September 2023
- Location: Harlow College Campus
- Awarding Body: Pearson
This course is subject to validation. You can still apply for this course while it is being approved.
Successful completion of HNC in Healthcare Practice
Who is it suitable for?
Anyone looking to start a career in the health and social care sector.
About the course
The course covers a range of subjects including innovation and improvement, person-centred practice, care planning processes, supporting individuals through significant life events, supporting team and partnerships, psychophysiological disorders, and health psychology. Classes are taught though face-to-face lectures and one-to-one meetings. Students will engage in group work, research projects and flip-learning.
This course boasts a real-world integrated approach to learning in the healthcare sector. It has been designed to equip students with the healthcare practice skills, knowledge and the understanding necessary to achieve high performance in the global health and social care environment. Students have the option of converting their qualification into a degree by studying an additional year at university.
Harlow College has a dedicated adult learning team, whom have been working with, and helping adult learners gain the qualifications they need to go to university for many years. The team understand the different needs of adult learns. They recognise that many of its adult learners have to juggle their studies around a busy family life, and so classes have been specifically arranged to fit around the school runs. The department benefits from a wide range of specialist skills, with experts in a wide range of subject areas, including nursing and midwifery, health and social care, psychology and counselling, business, health science professions, and medicine.
Where will this course take me?
- Jobs in the health and care sector can include (but are not limited to) any of the following job roles: healthcare practitioner, residential care home, home care assistant, social worker, counselling.
- Innovation and Improvement through Action Research
- Reflective Approaches in Implementing Person-centred Practice
- Care Planning processes in Healthcare Practice
- Supporting Individuals through Significant Life Events
- Supporting Team and Partnership Working Across Health and Social Care Services
- Health Psychology
- Psychophysiological Disorders
How much does it cost?
Fees for new learners on HNC Year 1 are £5990
Fees for learners moving from HNC to HND (direct entry to year 2) are £5990
Fees for learners moving from HND year 1 to HND year 2 are £5990 (cost of living rise only = 3%).
You may access a student loan for the fees and maintenance.
The Student Finance England website has full details and you can use their calculator to see what help you may be entitled to.
Included in the fee:
- £10 free printing per year
- All tuition and assessment
Not included in the fee:
- Printing over £10
- Cost of trips
- Cost of residential visits
- Basic stationery
*There may be additional costs for this course
Teaching & Learning
Teaching will be a combination of individual, paired and group work. Assessment methods will vary for each module but will be a range of:
- Written assessment
- Practical assessments
- Work based learning
- Action research
Assessment & Feedback
Essays, research projects, presentations, observations, timed written assessment.