- Type: Vocational Courses | Music | Performing Arts
- Level: 3
- Study Mode: Full-time
- Start: September 2022
- Time: Daytime 9.30-4pm. Evening Performances until 9pm (up to 6 per year)
- Duration: Diploma 1 year – Extended Diploma 2 years
About the course
This exciting course is for students with a passion for music performance and production. Students work in collaboration with each other to meet the challenge of termly projects resulting in live concerts and music productions. You will explore music performance, composition, live sound and recording, whilst developing your study skills in research, analysis and critical evaluation. You shall also be given the opportunity to develop music theory and skills of your own choosing throughout the course.
4 GCSEs at grade 4 or above, at least one of which should be in a performing arts subject, or an equivalent Level 2 qualification in a relevant subject. Music or dance grades of the appropriate level may also be considered as suitable entry qualifications. You will also need to pass an audition.
How much does it cost?
Free to those aged 16-18. If you are aged 19+ you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan.
There is a range of financial support that you may be entitled to, including: Learner Support funds, grants and bursaries and employer support.
Workshops and educational visits – up to £150 per year.
Who is it suitable for?
Anyone who has a passion to work in the music industry or go to university to study music technology, sequencing, composing, performing, sound engineering, backstage production or technical theatre. You shall be auditioned to show you have a reasonable musical performance or production ability at interview.
UAL (University of the Arts London)
This course is an opportunity to develop your confidence and abilities as a musical artist. It supplies the environment and expert tuition to begin your creative journey towards a place in the contemporary music industry. You learn essential team-work skills whilst being exposed to a broad range of technical, practical and academic challenges. Success in this qualification gives you a broad skill-set so you're ready for your next musical steps!
- UAL Extended Diploma in MPP=UCAS points - Pass - 72; High Pass - 96; Merit - 120; High Merit - 144; Distinction - 168
- UAL Diploma in MPP=UCAS points - Pass - 36; Merit - 60; Distinction - 84
Where will this course take me?
Destinations for our students include the following:
- The Institute
- The Academy of Contemporary Music
- Performer/Entertainer; Artists (touring, recording, directors, choreographers, composers etc);
- Teacher/Educator (Education, Peri teacher, Sports Fitness instructors, trainers etc);
- Therapists (physiotherapists, midwifery, Music therapists, councillors etc);
- Administration/Production (sound engineers, critic, Front of House managers etc);
- Presenters (Media-radio, film, TV).
- Principles of music performance and production
- Critical listening and music composition
- Music industry and professional practice
- Critical and contextual awareness for music performance and production
- Music production in context
- Music performance in context
- Preparation for specialist study in music performance and production
- Collaborative music performance project
- Developing music performance and production skills
- Exploration of specialist study in music performance and production
- Preparing for progression in music performance and production
- Project proposal for extended project in music performance and production
- Extended project in music performance and production
How will I be assessed?
Verbal and written formative and summative feedback, through a variety of methods: Practical work; performances; classroom observations; Showbie app: Padlet app; WIX pages; presentations; logbooks; viva voca; rehearsals; blogs; diaries; reports; essays etc.
Will I have to provide anything?
Pens, pencils, your own instruments, earplugs, own microphone (if you are a singer); jack leads
Workshops and educational trips – up to £150 per year
Glassbox Theatre Uniform (t-shirt and hoodie) – £36 (optional)
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Call 01279 868100 and talk to an Admissions Adviser
Ask Us a question about this course