About the course
Develop a range of specialist and professional art, design and photography skills, with an emphasis on thinking creatively and working to briefs with deadlines. Suitable for anyone with a passion for photography, no previous photographic knowledge is necessary as skills are acquired from the start of the course.
4 GCSEs at grade 4 (English preferred). Portfolio of photographs you have taken yourself. The portfolio can be digital - on your phone, tablet or memory stick.
How much does it cost?
Free to those aged 16-18. If you are aged 19+ you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan.
There is a range of financial support that you may be entitled to, including: Learner Support funds, grants and bursaries and employer support.
£75 Studio charge to cover cost of materials and £75 for trips. Financial help from Bursary may be available towards cost of the studio charge and camera.
UAL (University of the Arts London)
The course offers a range of specialist and professional skills, such as thinking creatively and working to briefs with deadlines. It is a great pathway to Higher Education or employment through learning a wide cross-section of specialist and professional transferrable skills such as working to deadlines, thinking creatively and working effectively as part of a team.
Where will this course take me?
Careers within the creative industries or progression onto university.
- Unit 1 – Introduction to Visual Language in Art & Design
- Unit 2 – Introduction to Research Skills in Art & Design
- Unit 3 – Introduction to Critical and Contextual awareness in Art & Design
- Unit 4 – Introduction to Materials, Processes and Technical Skills
- Unit 5 – An Integrated approach to 2D problem Solving
- Unit 6 - An Integrated approach to 3D
- Problem Solving
- Unit 7 – An Integrated Approach to Time-Based Problem Solving
- Unit 8 –Developing and Art & Design Project
- Unit 9 – Art & Design Opportunities for Progression in Art & Design
- Unit 10 – Credit Value 24 / GLH 150
- Art & Design Characteristics and Context
- Unit 11 - Credit Value 6/ 30 GLH Preparation for progression in art & design.
- Unit 12 – Engaging with an Audience in Art & Design
- Unit 13 – Art & Design Proposal and Realisation
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is unit based through lectures, practical assignments, group discussions, essays and regular educational visits to galleries and museums. In addition there will be a final project at the end of each year. You will take part in regular discussions about progress with your learner mentor.
Will I have to provide anything?
You must provide your own digital SLR camera.
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Call 01279 868100 and talk to an Admissions Adviser
Ask Us a question about this course