- Type: Access to Higher Education | Part-time & Adult Courses | Higher Education | Access to HE
- Level: 3
- Study Mode: Full-time & Part-time
- Start: September 2024
About the course
SUBJECT TO VALIDATION
Access to Built Environment is an intensive construction/civil engineering based course designed to provide an alternative route for non-traditional students into higher education.
It is a course for mature students who may include:
- Those with experience in the built environment / construction industry who are looking for formal qualifications
- Those who wish to change from their field of employment to the built environment industry
- Those who have previously studied in further or higher education but whose studies did not constitute a suitable preparation for industry
Full-time (2 days a week for one year) or Part Time (1 day a week for 2 years) 9:30am to 3pm
*The department recognises that a large number of students have care or parental responsibilities and makes allowances to ensure these demands can continue to be met by learners.
Maths and English at Grade 4 or C or above
How much does it cost?
Fees apply to this course. If you're aged 19+ you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan.
Contact Us or call 01279 868100 to get the most up-to-date info on fees and the financial support that may be available.
Educational visits will you go on:
- University Fairs
- Net Zero Live
- Local industry projects e.g Burnt Mill rebuild, Harlow Gilston Garden Town
- Renewable Energy Centre
Ppractical things will you get up to in each module:
- CAD design work
- Undertaking external condition surveys
- Practical measuring exercises
- Site visits
Companies we have strong links with:
Bowmer & Kirland, Hill Group, Willmot Dixon
Where will this course take me?
- Quantitative surveyor
- Building surveyor
- Project Manager
- Town Planner
Core HE Skills 1 – Research
Core HE Skills 2 – Presentation and Reflection
Core Engineering Maths – Algebra and Trigonometry
Core Engineering Maths – Statistics and Calculus
Critical Thinking and Communication
Construction Technology & Design
Tendering and Estimating in Construction
Engineering Drawing CAD 2
Health and Safety in the Construction Industry
The Built Environment Industry
Sustainability in the Construction Industry
Applications of Structural and Mechanical Principles
Engineering Drawing CAD 1
How will I be assessed?
Reports, Essays, Presentations, Project Work, Portfolio work, Assessments, Exams.
Will I have to provide anything?
Safety equipment, calculator and textbook.