The Further Education Corporation of Harlow College is governed by a Board of Governors made up of elected members, appointed members, staff members, students and the College Principal. Governors have a wide range of skills and a high level of commitment to the college, its staff and students, and to the residents and employers of Harlow, West Essex and East Herts.
- to determine the educational character and mission of the College and to oversee its activities
- to ensure the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Corporation and for safeguarding their assets
- to approve annual estimates of income and expenditure
- for the appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts and the Clerk, including, where the Clerk is, or is to be appointed as, a member of staff, the Clerk’s appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of pay in the capacity as a member of staff
- for setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff; and for setting the policy by which the tuition and other fees payable to the College are determined (subject to any terms and conditions attached to grants, loans or other payments paid or made by the Council)
The role of the Governor is now more important than ever. Training is provided to keep Governors up-to-date and to develop the skills to meet the requirements and responsibilities required to fulfil this role.
The Governor Handbook is an introduction to governance and to Harlow College. Governors can access the documents which comprise the Governor Handbook using a secure login.
The Clerk to the Governors is Debbie Sheridan. The Clerk is appointed by the Corporation and is responsible for ensuring that all the activities of the Corporation are conducted according to the procedures and powers granted by Parliament and good practice identified by the Learning and Skills Council.