As a plumber, you may work in some of the following areas:
- Installing and repairing water supplies, heating systems and drainage
- Installing soil pipes and guttering
- Installing bathrooms and central heating systems
As an electrician, you may work in some of the following areas:
- Installing ring circuit and lighting circuits, wiring heating systems and testing.
- Installing power supplies for garages/outhouses
- Testing and certificating installations.
To become a plumber or electrician, you will need to be able to follow technical drawings and plans, have good practical and problem-solving skills, a careful, well planned out approach to work and be able to use hand and power tools to a competent standard.
You will need an awareness of health, safety and legal regulations and to be able to work as part of a team as well as alone. Good customer service skills will be vital.